Friday, January 22, 2010

Lesson 7: Work to Live - NOT Live to Work

This one took me a long time to learn. When I came out of the gate from college, I was raring to take over the world. I had big dreams of professional success, prosperity, and life's perfection. I didn't just work, I WORKED! I always volunteered to do the extra tasks, thinking it would help me climb the ladder faster. All it did was give me more work on a regular basis.

Then, I started thinking of how I could give back to the world. As a nurse, I thought the fact I helped people was decent and pure, but there was so much more. So I had a vision of putting continuing education (a requirement for most nurses today) on the Internet, when the Internet was still DOS-based; there was no world wide web, and commerce was not in vogue. After a lot of effort in pounding pavements to sell my futuristic idea to nursing schools in order to give the project credibility and legs, I finally found some success with the University of Maryland. Describing it simplistically, it tested my meddle in regard to breaking the glass ceiling. All it did was give the University of Maryland credit as the first nursing school to provide CEUs online, and no one knows I was actually the brains behind the idea.

Still, I didn't let that experience stop me. I still had drive and determination. I felt the Internet was the future, and still do. We will eventually live in two worlds - bricks & mortar and the virtual world. I was one of the first people I knew to telecommute for work managing a large project for Microsoft - at the opposite end of the country. It was challenging, rewarding, and I loved it. In the end, the contract was over, Microsoft changed their direction, my work and home lives blended unexpectedly, and I gained 50 pounds.

However, I was now armed with a masters degree in information systems and nursing (aka nursing informatics) and great experience from a major player in the computer industry. I was also facing the challenge of adjusting back to a scheduled work life where I wasn't working 24 hours a day. It was difficult. In the end, I was bored at work, but I worked only 40 hours a week.

So, now I was missing the challenge and assumed an IT position at one of the world's most prestigious medical institutions. In addition, to taking on the role of 3-4 people, I was also carrying a pager, expected to add 12 hour shifts to my 40 hour week during implementation, and my creativity was totally stifled.

So where am I going with all of this? I am now 55 years old. In Fall 2008, I was diagnosed with breast cancer...luckily at a very early stage and have been successfully treated. The experience resulted in a personal review of my life - the achievements and the failures.

I realized I spent way too much time working for unappreciative people with goals that did not align with my own. I spent way too much time letting people take advantage of my giving nature. I lived to work.

Today, I am striving to work to live. To enjoy the hours after the work day ends. To remove the Blackberry and email from my life after closing time. It is a conundrum however. You see, I spent most of my life building my career. My credentials and skills set qualified me for responsible positions. Why would someone with all I have want to work in a job that does not reflect all I can do and can be? Employers just don't get it.

For you, my children, don't wait until age 55 to realize that life is for living. Work is the way to finance the things you really want to do. Work to live!

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment